Who's Who in HQ is an ongoing series that serves to highlight familiar faces in Chemistry Headquarters.
Chemistry Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator Scott Ide has been at MIT for four and a half years. In his role as EHS Coordinator, Scott is the liaison between the Department of Chemistry and the MIT Environmental Health and Safety Office, and he provides environmental, health and safety support to the Department’s research labs, teaching facilities and department personnel. This includes facilitating trainings, inspections, emergency planning and response, incident review and special projects. As the subject of this month’s Who’s Who in HQ, Scott divulges the skill he’d choose to learn instantly, who he’d like to narrate his life, which museum he would found if given the opportunity, and many more fascinating facets!
1. How long have you been at MIT, and what brought you here?
I’ve been at MIT for about four and a half years. I came here to be the EHS Coordinator for Chemistry. Previously, I had a similar role in the environmental, health and safety office at Harvard University.
2. If you could bring back one TV show that has been cancelled, which one would you bring back?
The Esquire Network has a reality show called “Boundless”. It hasn’t been cancelled, but the new seasons are always delayed.
3. Who are three of your favorite fictional characters?
Poseidon, Father Christmas, and Bugs Bunny
4. What would be your last meal?
I hope to never have to plan my last meal. If I did, it would be something Italian or Portuguese with tomato sauce and seafood.
5. What bit of trivia do you know that is very interesting but also very useless?
I follow ultra-athletes and usually know trivia like: Who just completed a 4,000 mile solo paddle across the Atlantic Ocean in 93 days? Hint, they are one of my selected “ideal dinner party” guests in question #12.
6. What was your favorite book as a child, and what is your favorite book now?
As a child, To Kill A Mocking Bird. Currently, The Best Short Stories of O. Henry.
7. What is the best vacation you’ve ever taken?
I went to the Big Island of Hawaii in 2013.
8. What is on your bucket list?
The Texas Water Safari (a 260 mile canoe event affectionately known as the “World’s toughest boat race”), The Yukon River Quest (444 mile canoe race from Whitehorse to Dawson City in Yukon, Canada), The Outrigger Canoe Race from Molokai to Oahu, Hawaii, The Boston Light Swim, and The Boston Marathon.
9. If you could acquire any skill, what would you choose?
The ability to prevent any worker (e.g. researcher) from being harmed.
10. Would you rather go without junk food or TV for an entire year?
11. What apps can you not live without?
Weather Underground and Google Maps.
12. Who is on the guest list for your ideal dinner party?
Tina Fey, Bill Murray, Bono, Mike Rowe, Zdeno Chara, Bobby Orr, Larry Cain, Joe Bark, Chris Bertish, Freya Hoffmeister and Damien Rider. My mom, wife and daughter will be in attendance as well, because they bring the party.
13. If you could spend a month in any time period, which one would it be and why?
November 1924 in Landsberg Prison as Adolf Hitler’s cell mate.
14. If you were given five million dollars to open a small museum, what kind of museum would you create?
A canoe museum.
15. What was your first job, ever?
I was a farmer.
16. What is your favorite place in the world?
Hilo, Hawaii and Gloucester, Massachusetts.
17. What song instantly puts you in a good mood?
‘Life’s Been Good’ by Joe Walsh.
18. If someone narrated your life, who would you want to be the narrator?
Bill Murray or Mike Rowe.
19. What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting tired of?
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
20. What superstition do you believe in?
Pele’s Curse. As an example, removing a lava rock from Maui’s Haleakala brings bad luck.
21. If you could have any job in the world, other than working at MIT, what would it be?
Canoe paddler, fully sponsored for racing and expeditions.
Thank you so much, Scott, for all you do for the Department of Chemistry on a daily basis!
Stay tuned for more Who’s Who in HQ in the months to come!