Chemistry Graduate Student Rose Hadley describes her research and answers 20 random questions as part of the Graduate Student Spotlight series.
Rose Hadley is a fifth year graduate student who comes to MIT from New Boston, New Hampshire. As a member of Professor Elizabeth Nolan’s group, Rose’s research has involved studying the protein murine calprotectin, which is an important part of the immune response to infection but had previously not been characterized. The group has shown that this protein has antibacterial activity and we have characterized the high-affinity Mn(II) binding site that allows this protein to sequester Mn(II). They have also shown that both the human and murine orthologues of this protein are able to sequester Mn(II) from bacterial Mn(II) import proteins, revealing how calprotectin is able to starve bacteria of Mn(II) and thereby limit bacterial growth.
As the subject of February 2019’s Graduate Student Spotlight, Rose shares the the most amazing place in nature she’s been, her guilty pleasure, the TV show that never fails to make her laugh, and more!
- What is your guilty pleasure?
Watching Say Yes to the Dress.
- How did you decide to do the work you are doing now?
I developed an interest in bioinorganic chemistry as an undergraduate and wanted to study that.
- If you could make a holiday, what would it be like? What traditions would it have?
It would be about appreciation of what you have, every Friday would be a holiday, and people will eat their favorite foods
- Where would you like to travel next?
- What app has changed your life a lot?
- What is the silliest fear you have?
Spiders, I guess.
- What’s the most amazing place in nature you’ve been?
- Do you like reality shows? If so, which ones?
I like HGTV shows like House Hunters
- What unethical experiment would have the biggest positive impact on society as a whole?
Maybe CRISPR gene editing to cure diseases.
- What scientific discovery would change the course of humanity overnight if it was discovered?
A biological mechanism to control aging.
- What’s the best thing about the place you grew up?
The beautiful, peaceful outdoors
- What inconsequential super power would you like to have?
Not needing as much sleep.
- What’s the most ridiculous animal on the planet?
- What is something that is popular now that annoys you?
Gluten free diets.
- What movie, picture, or video always makes you laugh no matter how often you watch it?
- What movie universe would be the worst to live your life in?
- What song always puts you in a good mood?
Wake Up in the Sky.
- What food do you crave most often?
- What movie or book do you know the most quotes from?
The Office again.
- What’s the most interesting documentary you’ve ever watched?
I like watching Planet Earth.
Many thanks to Rose for these thoughtful answers! Stay tuned for more Graduate Student Spotlights in the months to come!