Chemistry Graduate Student Marc Wadsworth describes his research and answers 20 random questions as part of the Graduate Student Spotlight series.
Marc H. Wadsworth II has been a chemistry PhD candidate in Professor Alex Shalek‘s lab since the fall of 2014. Originally from Ohio, Marc’s primary interests are in developing and applying single-cell technologies to study cellular microenvironments in healthy and diseased systems. Currently, he is developing improvements and extensions to the Seq-Well platform to understand the mechanisms of infection in HIV, malaria, and M. tuberculosis. Marc enjoys exercising, playing the piano, jiu-jitsu, and cooking with his wife.
As the subject of October 2017’s Graduate Student Spotlight, Marc reveals what would be on his personal flag, the move universe he’d prefer not to live his life in, his favorite book of all time, and more!
1. How did you decide to do the work you are doing now?
I was inspired by Alex’s research and could see myself really enjoying the PhD process under his guidance.
2. If you could turn any activity into an Olympic sport, what would you have a good chance at winning medal for?
The beer mile.
3. What is your dream car or other mode of transportation?
Tesla and flying carpets.
4. If you had a personal flag, what would be on it?
Chester the Cheetah eating a taco.
5. What weird food combinations do you really enjoy?
Ballreich Chips & Ketchup.
6. What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting sick of it?
7. In ancient Egypt, people were buried with the items they would need in the afterlife – what would you want buried with you so you could use it in the afterlife?
A pair of clothes and a good book.
8. If you received a salary to follow whatever passion you wanted to, what would you do?
9. Would you rather have a flying carpet or a car that can drive underwater?
Flying Carpet 100%.
10. What toy played the biggest part in your childhood, and why?
Legos. I loved building all sorts of structures with them.
11. What is your favorite book of all time?
The Count of Monte Cristo
12. Which is your favorite city in the world?
Cambridge, MA because I met my wife here.
13. What did you think you would grow out of but haven’t?
Gummy worms…they are and will probably always be my favorite candy.
14. Who are three of your favorite fictional characters?
Edmond Dantès, Alonso Quixano, and Santiago.
15. What food is delicious, but a pain to eat?
Ribs because they can be so messy.
16. If magic was real, what spell would you try to learn first?
How to conjure tacos.
17. What movie, picture, or video always makes you laugh no matter how often you watch it?
18. What outdoor activity haven’t you tried, but would like to?
19. If you were given one thousand acres of land that you didn’t need to pay taxes on but couldn’t sell, what would you do with it?
Grow my own vegetables and live off the grid
20. What movie universe would be the worst to live out your life in?
Marvel…you could never relax with all the mayhem going on.
Many thanks to Marc for these thoughtful answers! Stay tuned for more Graduate Student Spotlights in the months to come!