NIH No-Cost Extension (NCE)
The first request for a NCE can be made through an email request to the Research Administration Team at least 30 days in advance of the award end date. A technical explanation for the request must be provided.
NSF No-Cost Extension (NCE)
Requirements for a no-cost extension
- You must submit your request to NSF at least 10 days (but not more than 60 days) prior to your award’s expiration date. Your request must explain, in scientific terms related to the project, why you need the extension. Having unobligated funds when your award expires isn’t a sufficient justification.
- You cannot extend an award that has $0 in funding.
- Your plan must follow the previously approved objectives of the project.
Instructions for requesting a no-cost extension
- From the Research.gov homepage, under the Awards & Reporting column, select the Notifications & Requests option.
- Enter your login information (last name, NSF ID, and password) and log in.
- On the Notifications & Requests screen, select Prepare New from the top of the page.
- On the next screen:
- Step 1: Select the No-Cost Extensions radio button
- Step 2: No-Cost Extension should auto-populate in the drop-down menu. Hit the Go button.
- Step 3: Enter the NSF award ID (this is a 7 digit NSF number, not your MIT account number).
- If given an option, you want to select “Grantee-Approved No-Cost Extension”
- On the next screen, enter information in the following fields:
- Revised end date drop-down menu
- Justification for Grantee-Approved No-Cost Extension text field
Click the Save & Forward button at the bottom of the page.
All other No-Cost Extension (NCE)
For all other NCEs, please email the Research Administration Team.